Dedicated volunteers from the community are at the heart of our program and services. We are grateful for a faithful core of people who help in countless ways, but we always need more. SHCC has many ways you can get involved:
- Child Care: Supervise residents' children during Domestic Violence Support Group. Volunteers are needed weekly on Tuesdays or Wednesdays from 5:00–6:00 PM.
- Donations: Sort and fold clothing and organize household items for browsing by residents and their children. Scheduling for this position is very flexible.
- Crisis Calls: Become trained in how to answer our crisis calls. This is a job for a special person; we greatly need volunteers for this position.
- Second Bloom Boutique: Help sort, organize and price inventory for the boutique.
- Volunteer Companion: Accompany and assist victims of rape and sexual assault to and from hospital (Job description available here)
- Share a talent, hobby or skill: The possibilities are endless—volunteer each an aerobics class, organize an art or craft project or host a board game night. For men who want to volunteer, we need strong arms to move furniture, do landscaping and/or help with maintenance work around the Shelter.
For more opportunities and to learn how to start volunteering, contact the Community Outreach Coordinator:
- Fax: (828) 758-8949
Download and send completed application to above email or fax number.